By now, pretty much everyone is aware of the user-focused benefits of moving to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011. The improvements are vast and getting great reviews and feedback from users who have upgraded successfully. However, I wanted to take a moment to address the benefits from a development side. Having developed and upgraded several custom applications for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 lately, I want to praise Microsoft for making great improvements in the development experience. It is much, much easier to develop custom apps and plugins due to some of the new or improved features:
- Ease of programming due to generating a strongly-typed code file. This does half the work for me, modeling all my custom CRM elements for developer interaction. Love it!
- The new programming model for WCF. This makes developing custom apps even more rapid than before.
- Extended use of Workflow Processes! Finally, easy customizaton for workflows and workflow actions.
- REST implementation for Ajax processing of CRM actions. This allows for some slick user interfaces in custom apps.
- LINQ support. Again, goodbye cumbersome query writing!!! Did I mention I hated the horrible queries I had to write for CRM 4?
Thinking about upgrading your custom apps or plugins as you upgrade from CRM 3.0 or 4.0 to 2011? eImagine is a seasoned CRM 2011 upgrade pro! We’d love to help you out, with full support from infrastructure planning to custom development.