CRM 2011 Update Rollup 12 (AKA “Polaris”) for Dynamics CRM Online contains a new forms experience for the Lead, Opportunity and Case entities. The enhanced user experience is called the “Process” or “Flow” user interface. The new forms include control elements that help users step through pre-defined business processes. If you have enabled this feature, I’m sure you’d like to customize the business process to fit your own!
First, be aware the Lead and Opportunity business processes have been combined into one “Sales” process. This allows you to fluidly control the flow between lead and opportunity through the qualification process. Process flows are broken down into stages, steps and fields:
- Stages contain a group of steps. For example, your sales stages might be Qualify, Develop, Propose and Close.
- Steps indicate what data to collect for each stage of the process. For example, in the Qualify stage, you may want to “Identify a Contact,” “Establish a Purchase Timeframe” and “Estimate a Budget.” Collecting each of those things would be individual steps in the Qualify stage.
- Fields are simply existing entity fields which you link up to a corresponding step. For example, you might associate the “Identify a Contact” step with the entity’s Primary Contact field.
OK now that you get the concept, here’s how to do it:
- Pull up the form you want to customize.
- Click on the ellipse at the top of the form and click Edit Sales Process.
- Use the Process Control Customization Tool to edit your process flow.
- Click OK to immediately publish your changes.